Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spring Madness

A little Madness in the Spring
Is wholesome even for the King.
- Emily Dickinson


Event: Spring
Where: Outside your door
When: Now!
Cost: Free

Ah, spring. It has seemingly arrived in all of it's rainstormy, bird-chirping, bright-greeny goodness. Accordingly, I am in love with the outdoors, the smells of fresh air and sunshine, grass, dirt... life. And lucky me! Iowa City proper is home to 4o parks, giving me many places where I can enjoy the season. I must confess, however, that my favorite park is not inside the city limits, but located approximately 3 1/2 miles north of Iowa City. Which park is this, you ask? Coralville Lake, of course!

I've been coming to Coralville Lake ever since my older
sister first started college in Iowa City a decade ago, and have loved it ever since. It is home to many special memories for me - my family has enjoyed picnics, long walks, and even some intense hikes (intense for Iowa, that is) here. My most recent venture out to Coralville Lake was last summer with my parents, so I'm long overdue for a visit.

Camping at Coralville Lake opened for the season on April 15 and the beaches open May 1. Besides camping and swimming, Coralville Lake features hiking, mountain biking, boating, birdwatching and even an amazingly cool Devonian Fossil Gorge - this alone is worth the drive. Most of the these activities are free, including the fossil gorge, swimming at the
Sugar Bottom beach and hiking on one of the four trails. You can't lose! I know I'm planning to head out to Coralville Lake for a hike on my next free day! But of course, you don't need a park to enjoy the season - so just get out there!

No comments: