Monday, April 28, 2008

Music to my ears


What: UI Orchestra Spring Recital
Where: Voxman Music Building
When: April 27, 2008
Cost: Free

Ahhhh, recital season. If there is one thing I will miss after leaving Iowa City, it will be the free recitals given by the UI music school. When else will I have the opportunity to hear free recitals given by world-class musicians in a sparsely occupied auditorium? Last December I attended a free recital given by Volkan Orhon, an assistant professor of double bass at the university, in which other faculty members gathered to play together. Now, I’ve never followed classical music closely, but there is something truly magical about hearing it in person. At Orhon’s concert last year, I was moved to tears.

Given my strong emotional response to Orhon's recital, I was thrilled to attend the Philharmonia Orchestra and All-University String Orchestra spring recital. The recital lasted approximately two hours, with a ten minute intermission. Each orchestra played about an hour each. The more amateur All-University String Orchestra played first, playing adequate Mozart, Bach and Mendelssohn movements. The highlight of the evening, however, was the Philharmonia Orchestra's rendition of a Tchaikovsky concerto - absolutely breathtaking. The Philharmonia Orchestra is comprised of only music majors so the sound is significantly more refined and cohesive. However, for student ensembles they both performed very well.

I strongly suggest attending at least one of the music school's many spring recitals. There is one nearly everyday this month! Even if you aren't into classical music, it is unlikely you will have an opportunity to see this caliber of music for free again. Plus, it's sad how empty the auditorium has been at the performances I have attended. If possible, try to see a faculty concert - those are the true gems.

Tip: Come on time. They lock the doors after the recital begins to prevent disturbing the performances.

No comments: